Charlie Manuel is not particularly interested in hearing you second guess him

26 Comments

The Phillies had a rough day yesterday. So you can understand that Charlie Manuel was not particularly interested in answering questions about his crappy bullpen. Specifically the bullpen that gave up the 1-0 lead when Antonio Bastardo walked two dudes and gave up a three-run bomb to Carlos Pena.

Someone asked Manuel why Bastardo came in the game in the eighth inning. Manuel explained that Hamels had already thrown 111 pitches, it was hot, it was the eighth inning and how the fates and Ruben Amaro had aligned the world in such a way that Bastardo is the Phillies’ eighth inning guy.  Then he said

“You guys ought to sit in the dugout with me during the game and give me all the scenarios because I don’t think we know them,” Manuel said sarcastically. “We don’t know how to manage a game. Really, you guys ought to sit down there with us or tweet or something and float the information down there to me because I’m not smart enough to get it.”

I’d love to see a Twitter-sourced baseball game in which the manager does whatever his tweeps tell him to do. Maybe some of the matchups would work out better. And maybe Manuel would know who’s having a bad day at work, who can’t get some pop song out of their head, who’s watching that week’s “Mad Men” and what everybody’s beer status was.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”