Joe Saunders scratched from start last night after having trouble getting loose

1 Comment

Is Trevor Bauer time upon us? Maybe.

According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Joe Saunders was scratched from his scheduled start last night against the Cubs because he had trouble getting loose. Josh Collmenter got the call at the last minute and allowed one run over four innings. Brad Ziegler, Craig Breslow, Bryan Shaw and David Hernandez then combined for five shutout frames to lock down the 9-1 victory.

Saunders downplayed the severity of the situation after the game, but we should know more on his status in the next few days.

“It was just one of those weird fluke things where I just couldn’t get loose,” Saunders said. “Maybe I slept on it wrong or something like that. I felt great my last outing, felt great in my bullpen session on Wednesday, so I think this is just kind of a fluke thing. Strength-wise [the training staff] said I was off the charts, so I’m not worried about anything structurally.”

Saunders, 31, has a 3.44 ERA and 53/21 K/BB ratio in 81 innings over his first 13 starts this season. He’s been the subject of trade rumors recently, as the Diamondbacks consider ways to make room for Bauer in the starting rotation. The 2011 first-round pick has a 2.79 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 42 innings since being promoted to Triple-A Reno last month.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”