Daniel Bard’s move from the bullpen to the rotation is officially over after 10 starts, as the right-hander told the Red Sox that he no longer wants to be a starter.
“I know I can be a good starter, but I already know I’m a great reliever,” Bard explained to Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston.
McDonald reports that Bard talked recently with general manager Ben Cherington, who’s in agreement with the move back to the bullpen. Of course, now he must actually pitch well enough at Triple-A to deserve a call-up and Bard has struggled some as a reliever for Pawtucket since his demotion.
Bard had a 5.30 ERA in 10 starts, showing decreased velocity with more walks (36) than strikeouts (34) in 54 innings. By comparison he had a 2.87 ERA and 213/77 K/BB ratio in 198 career innings as a reliever, ranking among the most dominant setup men in baseball from 2009-2011.
Whether or not you think the idea of giving Bard an opportunity to start was a sound one it seems fairly obvious that the Red Sox could have handled the situation better and it’s even more obvious that Bard simply didn’t pitch well in the rotation. Now the question is whether he can rediscover his old, overpowering raw stuff and how quickly he’ll be back in the Red Sox’s bullpen.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.