R.A. Dickey throws his second straight one-hitter

45 Comments

R.A. Dickey’s incredible stretch of success continued tonight, as he carved up the Orioles for his second straight one-hitter as part of a 5-0 victory.

There was no controversy over the lone hit tonight, as Wilson Betemit ripped a clean single to right-center field with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Still, he was nothing short of sensational, striking out a career-high 13 while walking just two.

Dickey is the first pitcher to throw back-to-back one-hitters since Dave Steib with the Blue Jays in 1988. The 37-year-old knuckleballer is the first National League hurler to do it since Jim Tobin of the Boston Braves back in 1944.

Over Dickey’s last six starts, he has allowed just two runs (one earned) while striking out 63 and walking five over 48 2/3 innings. He now leads the majors with 11 wins and finds himself tied for the major league lead in both ERA (2.00 ERA, tied with Brandon Beachy) and strikeouts (103 strikeouts, tied with Justin Verlander). Simply remarkable.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
1 Comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
6 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.