The Marlins were given quite the scare this afternoon, as Hanley Ramirez was hit in the nose by a batted ball which bounced off a batting cage screen in the cage at Tropicana Field.
Ramirez was scratched from tonight’s lineup against the Rays as a result of the incident, but Marlins’ manager Ozzie Guillen told Coley Harvey of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the injury doesn’t appear to be serious.
“He’s kind of dizzy right now,” Guillen said of Ramirez about two hours before Friday’s first pitch. “He should be ready (Saturday). The trainers don’t think it’s anything big, but they want to wait for the doctor to see how it is.”
Donovan Solano made the start at the hot corner tonight, but Greg Dobbs is also an option to fill in if Ramirez needs to miss a few days.
After being limited to just 92 games in 2011 due to a shoulder injury which eventually required surgery, Ramirez is hitting .259/.336/.461 with 11 home runs, 37 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .797 OPS through through 63 games this season. He’s grounded into 10 double plays, which is tied with Cubs’ outfielder Alfonso Soriano for the National League lead.
Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.
That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.
Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.