UPDATE: The Jays have released Vlad at his request. He’s now a free agent.
UPDATE: This has gotten even more complicated. Apparently he has not technically quit, but he has left the team and is telling the Jays he wants to be in the big leagues or no place at all. He is eligible, as of yesterday, to opt out of his deal with Toronto. Now it remains to be seen if the Jays will call his bluff.
11:15: Um, scratch that. Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Guerrero is NOT giving up his comeback. Indeed, his agent just told Rosenthal that “nothing is further from the truth.”
So, um, as you were everyone.
11:00AM: Vladimir Guerrero, trying to latch on with the Toronto Blue Jays, has logged 11 games and 50 plate appearances in the minors this year. But that’s apparently all he’s gonna do, as it’s being reported that he has decided to call it quits:
No official word yet on why he’s calling it a day, but Dustin Parkes says that Vlad has looked terrible in his short time in Triple-A, so maybe he just knows it’s over.
If it is over, 449 homers, 2590 hits, a .318 career average, a career .939 OPS, the reputation of one of the strongest arms of his time and an MVP award make for a pretty good Hall of Fame case.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.