Freddy Galvis’ back injury sounds pretty serious

3 Comments

Freddy Galvis was placed on the disabled list two days ago with what was termed as a lower back strain, but it turns out his injury is more serious than the vague description would have you believe.

Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Galvis may have a Pars fracture in his lower back. The 22-year-old infielder suffered the injury on a swing Wednesday night, but it could have stemmed from an earlier injury in winter ball.

“It’s serious,” Proefrock said. “It could keep him out for a considerable amount of time.”

Galvis is scheduled to go for a second opinion next week. However, if the initial diagnosis is confirmed, he could miss up to two months. The injury would be treated with rest and a back brace.

Given the unenviable task of filling in for Chase Utley at second base, Galvis is hitting .226/.254/.363 with three homers, 24 RBI and a .617 OPS across 200 plate appearances this season. While the rookie has predictably struggled with the bat, he has shown that he is quite capable defensively. Now Mike Fontenot figures to get most of the looks at second base until Utley is ready to return.

The Dodgers are concerned about Julio Urias’ shoulder

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Things are going great for the Dodgers lately. They’ve won seven consecutive games and 13 of their last 14. They lead the National League in wins and are in first place in, arguably, the best division in baseball.

But there are a lot of moving parts on a baseball team, and even when some things are going great, other things can go not-so-great. Like this:

Urias has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and shut down indefinitely. An MRI last week showed no structural damage, but his shoulder is still bothering him. He has not pitched in the bigs since late May, when he allowed seven runs in less than three innings against the Miami Marlins. He was sent down after that and went 3-0 with a 3.12 ERA, six walks and 17 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched in three starts with Oklahoma City before being shelved.

 

Derek Jeter doesn’t have the money to buy the Marlins

Getty Images
2 Comments

Derek Jeter met with Major League Baseball yesterday and told them that he does not yet have the money to purchase the Miami Marlins, reports the Associated Press.

Jeter bid $1.3 billion for the Marlins, as did the group led by Tagg Romney and Tom Glavine. Bidding is one thing, however. Cash on the barrelhead is another. Jeter has been trying to wrangle together an investment group since Jeb Bush pulled out of his bid, but still hasn’t pulled it off. There are reportedly other groups still in the hunt.

If only there was someone else with baseball and Miami ties he could call.