This falls into the deep thoughts category, but:
- The Royals are only a half game behind the Tigers despite having a 12-game losing streak this year;
- The Pirates are a game up on the Cardinals despite having he worst offense in the National League;
- The Orioles are three ahead of the Red Sox and a half game up on the Yankees despite being the Orioles;
- The Nationals, Marlins and Mets are ahead of the Braves and Phillies despite the preseason prognostications of everyone; and
- The Dodgers are ahead of everyone in baseball despite not having their only legit All-Star for an extended period due to injuries.
Only the AL West is going as roughly expected, and that’s only because the Angels finally woke up in May after the best player in baseball spent a month being the worst player in baseball.
Someone please keep this post handy for next February and March when idiots like me pretend like we know what the hell is going to happen in the upcoming season.
The Reds picked up outfielders Mason Williams and Rosell Herrera on minor league deals, MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon reports. Both Williams and Herrera will receive invites to spring training and could compete for backup outfield roles behind Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton and Scott Schebler.
Williams, 26, completed a three-year track with the Yankees in 2017. He has yet to see a full season of playing time, however, and went 4-for-17 with two stolen bases during a five-game span with the club in 2017. While not a power hitter, his speed and steady contact rate produced a .263/.309/.318 batting line over 437 plate appearances in Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, including two home runs, three triples and 19 stolen bases.
Herrera, 25, has yet to make his big league debut. After seven years in the Rockies’ system, he finally reached Triple-A Albuquerque in 2017 and slashed .278/.351/.394 with three home runs and 20 stolen bases in 363 PA. He looks most comfortable in the left field corner, but has some experience at shortstop and third base and should give the Reds a nice utility option come spring.