Pablo Sandoval questioned by police in sexual assault case

16 Comments

Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Giants’ third baseman Pablo Sandoval is being investigated by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department and faces possible sexual assault charges as result of an incident which allegedly took place Friday morning.

The incident allegedly took place at the Seascape Beach Resort in Santa Cruz County. Police were not called to the scene, but the woman in question later contacted authorities and said that she was was too intoxicated to give consent. She then provided a sexual assault forensic evidence kit at an area hospital.

Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, confirmed to CSN Bay Area that Sandoval did not report to AT&T Ballpark yesterday because he was being questioned by police.

“On Friday, June 1, Pablo Sandoval voluntarily met with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department related to a consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature that took place on that day. Pablo fully cooperated with the Sheriff’s Department out of respect for the process. We have no further comment at this time.”

Sandoval has not been charged with a crime and the investigation is ongoing. The Giants have confirmed that he is still scheduled to report to High-A San Jose this evening to begin a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from hamate bone surgery on his left hand.

We’ll pass along information when updates warrant.

Joey Votto: “I tried to get fatter. I succeeded at that apparently.”

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
1 Comment

We’ve poked fun often at the spring training trope of players showing up to camp in the “best shape of [their] life.” Reds first baseman Joey Votto has turned that entirely on its head. Talking about his offseason, the 2010 NL MVP said, “I tried to get fatter. I succeeded at that apparently. We did all the testing and I am fatter,” Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Votto, of course, wasn’t trying to say he’s not in shape; he was just using some of his trademark self-deprecating humor.

Votto did get serious when discussing the state of the rebuilding Reds. As Buchanan also reported, Votto said, “I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball. I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Votto, 34, is under contract with the Reds through at least 2023, so he still has plenty of incentive to help see the rebuild through. He has been nothing short of stellar over the last three seasons. This past season, he hit .320/.454/.578 with 36 home runs, 100 RBI, and 106 runs scored in 707 appearances across all 162 games. Votto led the majors in walks (134) and on-base percentage and led the National League in OPS (1.032).

Despite Votto’s presence, both FanGraphs and PECOTA are projecting the Reds to put up a 74-88 record. The club had a pretty quiet offseason, expecting to enter 2018 with largely the same roster as last year.