Remember when that guy threatened to tell the world about how he and Carl Pavano had “an emotional and physical relationship” in high school unless Pavano gave him a navy Range Rover with tan leather? Well, the investigation into it has been dropped:
Police in Connecticut have closed an investigation into allegations of a blackmail attempt against Minnesota Twins pitcher Carl Pavano without making an arrest.
Southington police Lt. Lowell DePalma said the case was closed because Pavano and his family declined to provide statements.
You’ll recall that it was Pavano’s sister who received the alleged threat and contacted police. The extortion suspect, Christian Bedard, had this to say about her and the investigation:
Bedard said Thursday, May 31, that he is glad the investigation is over. He said, “Carl and the Pavano family can thank his sister for bringing national attention to these false allegations and our relationship.”
If you care about such things, Bedard said at the time of the original report that the fact of he and Pavano’s relationship was true, just that he never threatened Pavano with revealing it. It seems like he still stands by that. As a legal matter, however, the case is closed.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.
Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.
In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).
Brewers closer Corey Knebel set a modern major league record for relievers to start a season, as Thursday’s appearance marked his 38th consecutive appearance with a strikeout. He set down the side in order in the ninth inning, striking Josh Bell out to start the frame.
Aroldis Chapman held the record previously, recording a strikeout in his first 37 appearances of the season in 2014 with the Reds.
Knebel, 25, has flown under the radar despite having an incredibly good season. He moved into the closer’s role in mid-May when Neftali Feliz, now a free agent, struggled. After Thursday’s appearance, Knebel is 12-for-15 in save chances with a 0.96 ERA and a 65/17 K/BB ratio in 37 2/3 innings.