Theo Epstein says Cubs aren’t considering trading Starlin Castro

15 Comments

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported earlier this afternoon that the Cubs are open to moving everyone outside of right-hander Jeff Samardzija. Yes, even 22-year-old shortstop Starlin Castro. Naturally there’s been quite a bit of conversation about the report, irrational and otherwise, but Cubs president Theo Epstein went out of his way to address the situation tonight.

According to Doug Padilla and Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, Epstein confirmed that the Cubs are not considering moving Castro.

“Starlin Castro is the type of player we’re looking to build around,” Epstein said Thursday. “There has been no trade consideration with him, whatsoever.”

Padilla and Levine also go back to a quote from earlier in the week where Epstein said that he doesn’t believe in any player being “untouchable,” but that there are certain core pieces that you “would have to be completely blown away” to move. If that doesn’t describe Castro, I’m not sure what does.

And so, while it’s fun to make up dream trade scenarios, it’s much more likely that Castro is part of the next winning team in Chicago than suiting up for another team later this summer.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
3 Comments

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.