Dodgers prospect Alex Castellanos has been making a mockery of Triple-A, hitting .379 with a .476 on-base percentage and .759 slugging percentage in 22 games, and now he’s on his way to the majors.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers are calling up Castellanos, who was acquired from the Cardinals in the Rafael Furcal trade last season and has moved back to second base this year after previously shifting to the outfield.
In addition to this season’s ridiculous Triple-A numbers he also hit .320 with 23 homers and a .958 OPS in 125 games at Double-A last season, so Castellanos has been mashing for a year-and-a-half after some pretty underwhelming production prior to that.
He’s a little old for a prospect at 25, but it’s tough to ignore someone hitting .350 with power for going on 150 games and the Dodgers figure to give him an extended look at second base.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.