Things got a little tense between Cliff Lee and Shane Victorino last night

21 Comments

The Phillies defeated the Cardinals 5-3 in 10 innings last night thanks to a go-ahead two-run homer by Hunter Pence. The big takeaway is that the Phillies have won three in a row and now sit one game over .500 (24-23) on the year, but the game featured an interesting moment after Shane Victorino was involved in a pair of defensive miscues in the bottom of the fourth inning.

After the Phillies got back to the dugout for the top of the fifth, Cliff Lee and Victorino exchanged some heated words. The pair didn’t come close to blows, but teammate Brian Schneider stepped in the way to prevent the situation from escalating. You can watch video of the disagreement here.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, neither would confirm whether the argument was over the pair of dropped fly balls.

“It’s going to stay between us,” Lee said. “I’m not going to talk about it.”
Victorino would not talk about it either.
“Just go,” he said brusquely, waving a reporter away from his locker.

Two highly-competitive people getting into an argument is hardly shocking and Lee was likely just blowing off some steam. Can you really blame the guy? Despite an excellent 2.82 ERA and 47/8 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts, the 33-year-old southpaw is still searching for his first win this season.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”