Torii Hunter won’t rejoin Angels until son’s matter is settled

19 Comments

Torii Hunter, who was placed on the restricted list after learning that his 17-year-old son had been arrested on sexual assault charges, doesn’t plan to rejoin the Angels until things are settled with the case.

That’s according to his son’s attorney, Todd Shapiro, who told Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times that Hunter will remain home until “this matter is resolved or under control.”

Shapiro is optimistic about a quick resolution to the case. He said that the girl allegedly assaulted has recanted her accusation in a phone call that was unknowingly taped by a Hunter family friend. Being that the charges and the call happened in Texas, the call could be recorded without her permission.

17-year-old Darius McClinton-Hunter is currently free on bond following his arrest Monday. Shapiro has maintained that his client is innocent of the accusations.

Brad Ausmus seems to know he’s a dead man walking

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Tigers have been terrible and the embarked on a rebuild this summer, shipping off Justin Verlander and multiple other players. Miguel Cabrera is hurt and may never be his old MVP-level self. It is, without a doubt, that the Tigers and their fans are about to begin a new chapter in the franchise’s history.

Such new chapters usually involve new managers. Fourth-year manager Brad Ausmus is still at the helm and the Tigers have made no public statement about his future. Ausmus, however, is a lame duck, with his contract ending a week from Sunday. He is also no fool. He seems to know very well that he’s not going to be around next year. From Katie Strang of The Athletic:

Ausmus, of course, has been on the hot seat several times. When Detroit exercised his option for this year, their refusal to extend it sent a pretty clear signal.

If this is the end of the road in Detroit for Baseball’s Most Handsome Manager, it will end with him having missed the playoffs in three of his four seasons at the helm of a star-studded team that was expected to Win Now, as they say. Yes, there were a lot of issues with the Tigers — their bullpen has always been a problem and the brass made a lot of questionable choices in signings and trades over the past few years — but there is no escaping the fact that Ausmus’ Tigers under achieved.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.