Here’s some rare good news for the Nationals on the injury front.
The original goal was for Michael Morse to be ready to return from his torn right lat on June 8 so he could be eased back into the lineup as the designated hitter during interleague play, but Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com today that the 30-year-old slugger hopes be ready as soon as June 1.
“That was my day [June 8],” Johnson said. “I threw that out there trying to give the trainers and the doctors a date that I wanted him back swinging, because he could DH against the American League clubs on the eighth. We’d been set for that for about three weeks, and he came to me and said: ‘When you come off the road trip, I’ll be ready.’ But he’s feeling his oats.”
Morse has only recently resumed swinging a bat and playing catch after being shut down in April, so there’s no guarantee he’ll be ready by then. He plans to go to extended spring training in Viera, Florida next week to get some at-bats and could head out on a minor league rehab assignment from there if all goes well.
Morse, 30, has a .298/.357/.539 batting line to go along with 46 homers, 136 RBI and an .896 OPS in 244 games dating back to the start of the 2010 season. He should provide a major boost to the Nationals’ offense, as their left fielders enter tonight’s action with a major-league worst .154 batting average and .511 OPS.
Per ESPN’s Jesse Rogers, Jake Arrieta‘s agent Scott Boras says they’ll discuss a potential contract extension with the Cubs when they meet in January to hammer out arbitration figures.
Arrieta, 30, is entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility after earning $10.7 million in 2016. The right-hander followed up his Cy Young Award-winning 2015 campaign by going 18-8 with a 3.10 ERA and a 190/76 K/BB ratio in 197 1/3 innings during the regular season. Arrieta pitched well in the postseason, helping the Cubs win their first World Series since 1908.
While Boras clients tend to go to free agency, it’s not always the case. Stephen Strasburg inked a seven-year, $175 million extension with the Nationals earlier this year.
Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports, citing a source as well as Nikkan Sports, that reliever Koji Uehara is close to signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the Cubs.
Uehara, 41, finished the 2016 season with a 3.45 ERA and a 63/11 K/BB ratio over 47 innings. He missed some time in the second half with a strained right pectoral muscle. When Uehara returned from the disabled list on September 7, he tossed 11 scoreless innings with 12 strikeouts and two walks through the end of the regular season. So there’s at least some evidence, albeit in a very small sample size, that Uehara has stuff left in the tank.
The Cubs recently acquired closer Wade Davis from the Royals. Uehara would join Hector Rondon, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Jr., Justin Grimm, and Mike Montgomery in what is once again a very deep bullpen.