I think Andy Pettitte’s testimony actually helped Roger Clemens’ case rather than hurt it in that it introduced uncertainty and uncertainty is bad when you have the burden of proof. Despite this, the defense moved to strike Pettitte’s testimony last week, arguing that it was contradictory, inconclusive and therefore useless. The judge ruled on that today and Clemens’ side lost:
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton rejected a defense motion Monday to strike Pettitte’s testimony about a contested conversation a dozen years ago about human growth hormone. Pettitte testified two weeks ago that Clemens said he had used HGH – only to say under cross-examination he might have misunderstood their conversation.
Basically, the judge is going to allow the jury to infer what they may from the testimony. They could infer that Pettitte had no real knowledge of anything Clemens did. On the other hand they could infer that Clemens did in fact tell Pettitte that he used HGH and that he later lied about or Pettitte was covering for him or whatever (which is why the defense wanted to strike it, even if it wasn’t want the prosecution wanted Pettitte to say). It stands on its own for whatever it’s worth.
The judge also struck down the defense’s attempt to try to get Brian McNamee’s divorce records, calling it a “fishing expedition.” Which is an insult to the certainty one usually finds in fishing expeditions. Besides, this trial is now in week number five. Anything that gets it to the end quicker is a good thing, so hooray for the ruling.
Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is heading to the bullpen, according to comments made by club manager Mickey Callaway on Saturday. As predicted, Harvey doesn’t appear to be taking the news particularly well, going so far as to tell Callaway that the decision has him “at a 10 with being pissed off” and that he’s motivated to prove himself as a starter.
It’s been rough going for Harvey this spring. After missing significant time to a shoulder injury last season, the 29-year-old righty returned to the mound with a lot left to prove. He pitched to an 0-2 record in four starts, issuing 14 runs, four home runs and 17 strikeouts in 21 innings. It’s been a while since the Mets have seen anything better out of their starter — he hasn’t turned in a sub-4.00 ERA since 2015 and hasn’t pitched well enough to earn an All-Star berth since 2013 — and now it appears they’re at the end of their rope.
At this point, the Mets insist that the shift is a temporary one. While Callaway has helped successfully convert several starters to the bullpen, including Trevor Bauer and Carlos Carrasco, that’s not the plan for this veteran right-hander. Instead, both the team and Harvey seem to view the change as a way to clear up any mental blocks Harvey may be encountering on the mound. “We know he’s healthy,” assistant GM John Ricco told reporters. “He’s feeling good. Then you get to, is this a little bit of a mental thing, a confidence thing? One of the things we talk about is getting him into the ‘pen, where he can have success in short spurts, get that confidence back and really let it go and get back to being a guy who can dominate the way he’s shown in the past.”
Harvey will be eligible to pitch out of the bullpen on Tuesday, when the Mets are scheduled to kick off their next road series against the Cardinals. As for his replacement, left-hander Jason Vargas will resume his role in the rotation when he comes off the disabled list next Saturday.