Some deluded baseball fans sue MLB, broadcasters over alleged video monopoly

77 Comments

Blaming the legal system for stupid lawsuits is kinda like blaming guns for gun violence. They’re just tools that, when properly used, have their place.  It’s the idiots who use them recklessly that are the real problem:

A small group of baseball fans is suing Major League Baseball, its clubs and some television broadcast entities, claiming they collude to eliminate competition in the showing of games on the Internet and television … The lawsuit said the defendants possess monopoly power over the market for video presentations of major league games and have used the power to exclude or limit competition.

If I’m the judge that gets this case, my dismissal entry says “Monopoly power? Nonsense. Plaintiffs have every right to broadcast games themselves too.  In the event they have a billion dollars to buy such rights.”

In other news, yes, that first paragraph is an accurate description of my views on gun rights. Figured I’d inject that because I have been caricatured as a cliche liberal far too often around here lately.  When, in reality, I am a cliche liberal who happens to believe that people have the Constitutional right of private gun ownership in this country.

But yes, the rest of the cliche liberal stuff is probably right, so whatever.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”