Andy Pettitte: “I feel like I’m ready”

3 Comments

Andy Pettitte has given up ten runs in his last two outings but, despite this, he has declared himself ready for real live major league baseball:

“I’m going to let them let everybody know what we’ve got going on,” Pettitte said. “I feel like I’m ready, and I think they’re ready for me to come up.”

He brushed off all of those runs as just getting his work in. Which, to be fair to him, is something we allow guys in spring training and these past few starts have been spring training for him. Meanwhile, the guys he has been facing have been treating it like their season, which is what it is. Which isn’t to say that it’s a great thing that Pettitte has been getting lit up. But it may not be totally predictive of what he’ll do once he joins the Yankees.

It’ll be interesting to hear today what Brian Cashman thinks.  And where Pettitte will fill in in the rotation.  If you assume that he is going to replace David Phelps, his first start could be a week from today in Baltimore, which would be the next time Phelps’ turn comes up while Pettitte is on full rest.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
1 Comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
6 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.