11:30 p.m. EDT update: It was announced after the game Sunday that Werth had suffered a broken left wrist. He’ll see a specialist on Monday as the Nats go about determining whether he has any ligament damage. If it’s a simple break, then 6-8 weeks is probably the best-case scenario. If there’s more damage, then he could miss 3-4 months or even the rest of the season.
The Nationals are about to get Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche back, but it appears as though they may have lost Jayson Werth for a while.
Werth injured his left wrist attempting to make a sliding catch Sunday night against the Phillies and was immediately removed from the game. It’s the same wrist he had operated on twice in 2006, costing him the season.
If Werth suffered a break — and judging by the way he was holding it, it’s a possibility — he’ll probably miss a couple of months due to the injury and the Nationals will have to seriously consider bringing in some outfield help. They went after Denard Span last year and could try it again with the Twins already seemingly having fallen out of the race. However, their primary bait for Span, closer Drew Storen, is on the DL and probably won’t interest the Twins until he returns.
Of course, Alfonso Soriano and Chone Figgins are very much up for grabs. The Nats could also try picking up a veteran from Triple-A on the cheap, like the Yankees’ Dewayne Wise, Oakland’s Brandon Moss or Houston’s Justin Ruggiano.
The dust hasn’t quite settled after right-hander Dellin Betances‘ arbitration hearing with the Yankees on Saturday. The case was decided in the team’s favor, awarding Betances with a $3 million salary for the 2017 season instead of the $5 million he initially requested. Yankees’ president Randy Levine held a press conference to voice his outrage over the figure presented by Betances and his agency, saying it had “no bearings in reality” since Betances does not have the elite closer status required for a salary bump of that magnitude.
Needless to say, the comments caused some consternation within Betances’ camp. The reliever publicly addressed the outburst, telling the press that he was prepared to put his differences with the team aside until he heard what Levine had to say. Via MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch:
Players union executive Rick Shapiro and Betances’ agent, Jim Murray, also spoke out in the right-hander’s favor. Shapiro presented Betances’ case during the hearing on Saturday and called Levine’s comments “an absolute disgrace to the arbitration process and to all of Major League Baseball.” In a report from FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, Shapiro added: “The only thing that has been unprecedented in the last 36 hours is that a club official, after winning a case, called a news conference to effectively gloat about his victory – that’s unprecedented.”
Murray spoke exclusively to Rosenthal, accusing the president of effectively bullying the 28-year-old during the arbitration process and claiming that Levine had both mispronounced Betances’ name throughout the hearing and blamed the reliever for “declining ticket sales and their lack of playoff history.” Like Betances, Murray said that the agency was ready to accept the arbiter’s decision and move on before Levine’s decision to air his grievances to the media. “The only person overreaching in this entire situation is Randy,” Murray told Rosenthal. “He might as well be an astronaut because nobody on earth would agree with what he is saying. Even the others in the room would disagree with him.”
Royals’ manager Ned Yost is shaking things up in 2017, starting with left fielder Alex Gordon. Yost told MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan that “every scenario is open,” and expects to utilize Gordon in right and center field this spring while he figures out where to position Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss.
Gordon, 33, hasn’t manned right field since a three-game experiment with the Royals back in 2010 and has yet to play center field during any regular season to date. The focus, however, isn’t on Gordon’s capabilities. Among the three outfielders, he carries the best defensive profile and appears to be the most versatile of the bunch.
According to Flanagan, Soler and Moss are average on defense and will continue working closely with Royals’ coach Rusty Kuntz as the season approaches. One arrangement could see Gordon in center field, flanked by Soler in right field and Moss in left, though Yost foresees Soler taking some reps at DH if his defensive chops aren’t up to snuff.
While Moss is prepared to see starts at either outfield corner, Yost appears to be set on keeping Soler in right field, at least for the time being. The club is hoping for a bounce-back season from the 24-year-old outfielder, who was acquired from the Cubs in December after batting a lackluster .238/.333/.436 and sustaining a slew of minor injuries throughout the 2016 season.