Andy Pettitte

The Daily News, Yahoo! not letting the facts get in the way of sensationalism

41 Comments

I predicted this yesterday, but I awake this morning to find two outlets — the New York Daily News and Yahoo! — each going with completely inaccurate takes on the Andy Pettitte testimony today.  First the Daily News:

source:

Then Yahoo!

source:

He neither backpedaled on nor backed off his prior testimony.  He was entirely consistent.  The Daily News attempts to argue that his testimony differed from an affidavit he offered regarding the 1999 conversation, but that affidavit was not inconsistent with the testimony. It merely left out — for strategic reasons — the part in which Pettitte said in 2008 just as he says now that he thought he misheard Clemens in 1999.

Les Carpenter’s piece in Yahoo! is way worse.  He is all but saying that Pettitte perjured himself in order to help his friend, Roger Clemens.

He says “Prosecutors did not expect Pettitte to say the very thing Clemens has maintained all along, that he “misremembers” the earlier conversation,” when in fact they had every reason to expect it given that Pettitte testified to that exact effect four years ago.  He says that Petttitte “suddenly” had doubts about the 1999 conversation, when there was nothing sudden about it. He calls Pettitte’s testimony “a life preserver,” implying that it was unexpected help to Clemens when, in reality, it was merely Pettitte being consistent with prior testimony and the help to Clemens was the unexpected benefit.

Worse, Carpenter basically accuses Pettitte being some weak-willed slug, changing his story because Clemens was glaring at him:

But how much does Pettitte know? It’s hard to imagine his memory has turned hazy, yet Clemens is a hard man to defy. Even in court, intensity radiates from him. Clemens’ eyes never left Pettitte as his old friend sat on the stand. Pettitte could not return the gaze.

This is a disgrace on Carpenter’s part. He’s essentially calling Pettitte a liar and later chalks it all up to Pettitte desperately wanting to help his friend.

And maybe Pettitte has always wanted to help Clemens if he could.  But there’s a big difference between saying that and saying that he changed his sworn testimony in order to do it.  He clearly did not, and saying that he did is not just a matter of offering a strong opinion about what may be in Andy Pettitte’s heart. It is a clear misrepresentation of legal fact and anyone who maintains it in print should be required to print a retraction.

Thanks to Tamar Chalket at IIATMS for pointing them out. And for a good take at just how frustrating and common it is for the media to totally whiff on what’s going on in legal proceedings.

Report: Mark Trumbo signs three-year, $37.5 million contract with Orioles

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 04:  Mark Trumbo #45 of the Baltimore Orioles runs the bases after hitting a two-run home run in the fourth inning against the Toronto Blue Jays during the American League Wild Card game at Rogers Centre on October 4, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
1 Comment

Update #2 (6:21 PM EST): Make that $37.5 million, per Heyman.

*

Update (6:02 PM EST): The deal is for “around” $37 million with deferrals that lower the present-day value, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

*

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that free agent 1B/OF Mark Trumbo is close to a deal with the Orioles. He first reported that the two sides were back in touch earlier on Thursday afternoon. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the deal is expected to be for three years and under $40 million.

Trumbo’s market hasn’t developed as he expected. The slugger turned down the Orioles’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. Then the Orioles reportedly made a four-year contract offer to him in December but pulled it off the table. Most recently, a report indicated that Trumbo lowered his expectations to a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range.

Trumbo, 31, led the majors with 47 homers for the Orioles this past season. He also hit a solid .256/.316/.433 with 108 RBI in 667 plate appearances. With Trumbo back in the fold and some slight offensive upgrades made, the Orioles figure to have a formidable offense in 2017.

Astros avoid arbitration with Mike Fiers

SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 17: Starting pitcher Mike Fiers #54 of the Houston Astros walks to the dugout after pitching an inning during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on September 17, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Astros won the game 2-1. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Astros avoided arbitration with pitcher Mike Fiers, agreeing on a $3.45 million salary for the 2017 season, per Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle. The right-hander was in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility.

Fiers, 31, made 30 starts and one relief appearance for the Astros in 2016. He finished the year with a 4.48 ERA and a 134/42 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings.

Fiers had a much better showing in 2015 as well as in limited action in 2014, so the Astros are hoping he rediscovers that effectiveness going forward. He’ll slot into the back of the starting rotation.