Boston had to call up Aaron Cook from Triple-A or risk the veteran right-hander opting out of his minor-league contract and Josh Beckett’s sore lat muscle provides an easy solution.
Beckett has been scratched from his scheduled Saturday start against the Orioles and manager Bobby Valentine announced that Cook will join the team in time to take his place.
For now Beckett remains on the active roster and with the Red Sox doing all sorts of roster shuffling this week it’s unclear how exactly they’ll clear a spot for Cook, who’ll be starting on six days rest.
Cook has a nice-looking 1.89 ERA in five starts at Triple-A, but it’s worth noting that he has nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (13) in 33 innings for Pawtucket and the 33-year-old was mostly injured and ineffective in the majors for the Rockies during the past two seasons.
Last week it was widely speculated that Shohei Otani, the highly-touted Japanese pitcher/designated hitter who stars for the Nippon Ham Fighters, would not come to the United States to play due to changes in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The upshot: the new CBA caps money available to international free agents under age 25 at $5-6 million and Otani, 22, would be worth way more than that, so why take the pay cut?
Now, however, Jeff Passan of Yahoo reports that the Fighters are set to post Shotei Otani following the 2017 season. Passan says that his sources have told him that there are potential ways around the limit on spending for under-25 players like Shohei Otani and he links a Japanese article from Sponichi which says the Fighters would post him after the 2017 season.
It’d be interesting to see what that loophole is. Without knowing the exact terms of the CBA on this score it’s impossible to know, but one possibility is that there are different rules applicable to those with professional experience in other countries as opposed to amateur free agents.
Whatever the case, the notion that we could see Otani in the U.S. at age 23 or 24 is pretty exciting.
Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly reports that the Phillies are close to signing free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit. An announcement is expected before the winter meetings end on Thursday.
Benoit, 39, has quietly been among the better relievers in baseball over the past seven years. This past season with the Mariners and Blue Jays, the right-hander put up an aggregate 2.81 ERA with a 52/24 K/BB ratio in 48 innings. That included a 0.38 ERA in 23 2/3 innings after the Jays acquired him from the Mariners.
Benoit suffered a torn calf muscle during a benches-clearing brawl with the Yankees near the end of the regular season. He’s expected to be healthy for spring training.
The Phillies have now added three relievers this offseason with Benoit, Pat Neshek, and David Rollins.