Philadelphia Phillies v Atlanta Braves

Bud Selig issues a statement about the Dodgers being sold

9 Comments

Bud Selig always says nice things when a team is sold. Remember when Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers?  Selig had this to say then:

A day after News Corp. reached an agreement in principle to sell the Dodgers to Boston real estate magnate Frank McCourt for $430 million, MLB commissioner Bud Selig expressed confidence the deal would be completed despite questions about whether McCourt had sufficient financial backing.

“I’m not concerned,” Selig said Saturday about the proposed sale … “I don’t think Allen & Co., Stan Shuman or Fox would have gone this far if they felt there were economic problems that couldn’t be surmounted.”

Yeah, well, everyone is entitled to be wrong sometimes. The key is not letting that get you down and moving forward with confidence and optimism. Which is what Selig did today when the new owners of the Dodgers took control:

 “After a long and difficult road, the sale of the Dodgers is now complete, and I am pleased that the club can have the fresh start it deserves under new ownership.  I congratulate Mark Walter, Magic Johnson, Stan Kasten and all of their partners, and I look forward to working with them.  In addition, I want to personally thank all Dodger fans for their patience and loyalty during this trying period.  I have said many times that we owed it to them to ensure that the club was being operated properly and would be guided appropriately in the future.  It is my great hope and firm expectation that today’s change in ownership marks the start of a new era for the Los Angeles Dodgers and that this historic franchise will once again make the city of Los Angeles proud.

“Despite going through bankruptcy court, this process required the same due diligence and analysis that any other sale would demand.  Through all the challenges of this highly unique situation, our requirements were met.  Ultimately, the sale produced a record figure in all of sports, illustrating the strength of our industry.

“The 2012 season is off to a remarkable start.  As we welcome the new stewards of the Dodgers, I am grateful that the unbecoming events of recent years are behind us and the focus can be squarely on the field, where the Dodgers currently hold the best record in the National League.”

Here’s hoping we’re not revisiting this again in 2020.

Cardinals place Trevor Rosenthal on the disabled list

ST. LOUIS, MO - JUNE 18: Closer Trevor Rosenthal #44 of the St. Louis Cardinals pitches against the Texas Rangers in the ninth inning at Busch Stadium on June 18, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Cardinals have placed reliever Trevor Rosenthal on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his right shoulder, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports. The club recalled Dean Kiekhefer from Triple-A Memphis.

Thus continues a terrible 2016 for Rosenthal, who lost his grip on the closer’s role last month. The right-hander has recorded the save in 14 of 18 chances with a 5.13 ERA and a 48/27 K/BB ratio in 33 1/3 innings. Seung-hwan Oh has handled save situations  for the Cardinals in July.

As the Cardinals are playing a doubleheader against the Mets on Tuesday, the club also recalled Sam Tuivailala to serve as the 26th man on the roster.

Video: Adrian Beltre belts a walk-off home run on Monday against the Athletics

ARLINGTON, TX - JULY 25:  The Texas Rangers celebrate the two-run walk off homerun by Adrian Beltre #29 against the Oakland Athletics at Globe Life Park in Arlington on July 25, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Rangers found themselves in a 5-1 hole after three innings against the Athletics on Monday, but scratched out some runs in the middle innings. That allowed them to enter the bottom of the ninth inning trailing by only one run, 6-5, facing A’s closer Ryan Madson.

Adrian Beltre, who hit a solo home run in the seventh inning, stepped to the plate with a runner on first base and two outs. He was the Rangers’ last hope to keep the game alive. The veteran third baseman swung at Madson’s first pitch, a 96 MPH fastball, and drilled it to left-center field for a walk-off two-run home run.

Beltre now has nine walk-off home runs in his career. While the 37-year-old isn’t quite the offensive dynamo he was even two years ago, his numbers are still respectable. He’ll head into Tuesday’s action batting .281/.334/.468 with 16 home runs and 63 RBI in 392 plate appearances.