Toronto placed closer Sergio Santos on the disabled list with a sore shoulder Saturday and he sought a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum in California, with an MRI exam yesterday showing no structural damage.
That’s the good news. The bad news, according to Vinnie Duber of MLB.com, is that Santos will be completely shut down for at least 10-14 days and only at that point will the Blue Jays “initiate the throwing program.”
In other words, don’t expect to see him closing games again for at least a month, leaving veteran closer Francisco Cordero plenty of time to rack up saves after signing with Toronto as a setup man.
Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports that the Blue Jays and third baseman Josh Donaldson are tabling extension talks as the two sides weren’t able to build any momentum towards agreement on a new contract.
Donaldson said, “We’re not quite there. That, to me, right now is not the major focus and I’m turning the page.” He added, “I want to play this season and really focus on winning games because, ultimately, our goal is to win a World Series and I don’t want to hinder that at all.” Donaldson also said he expects to hit free agency.
The 32-year-old avoided arbitration with the Blue Jays last month, agreeing on a $23 million salary for the 2018 season. He’s a free agent at season’s end. Last year, the three-time All-Star hit .270/.385/.559 with 33 home runs, 78 RBI, and 65 runs scored in 496 plate appearances. Donaldson missed six weeks in the first half with a calf injury, but was able to return and post terrific numbers, so his health — at least that aspect of it — shouldn’t be a concern going into spring training.
If Donaldson does reach free agency, he’ll join a star-studded group that will likely also include Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Charlie Blackmon, and A.J. Pollock.