Postgame drama in Boston: Bobby V part of closed-door meeting, players refuse to talk

99 Comments

The home clubhouse at Fenway Park was not the most relaxing of places Saturday evening after the Red Sox blew a 9-0 lead to the Yankees in an eventual 15-9 loss, falling to 4-10 on the year.

“I think we’ve hit bottom,” first-year Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said in his postgame chat. “That’s what I told them after the game. You have to sometimes hit bottom. If this isn’t bottom, then we’ll find some new ends to the earth or something.”

And then came these tweets from beat writers Evan Drellich (of MLB.com), Gordon Edes (of ESPN Boston) and Sean McAdam (of CSNNewEngland.com’s RedSoxTalk):

Valentine will survive Saturday’s collapse, but the Red Sox are in the midst of a five-game losing streak and are struggling in quite a few crucial areas. It’s safe to wonder what will happen if things get any worse.

Jonny Venters is back in the majors

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Rays announced on Wednesday that the club purchased the contract of lefty reliever Jonny Venters from Triple-A Durham. The 33-year-old hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to a continuous battle with arm injuries. The Rays note that he has undergone two and a half Tommy John surgeries, which is a number that seems to be in dispute.

Venters signed a minor league contract with the Rays in December. With Durham so far this season, he gave up two runs (one earned) on four hits and five walks with six strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.

Before the injuries, Venters was among the best relievers in 2010-11. In those two seasons, he posted a combined 1.89 ERA with 189 strikeouts and 82 walks in 171 innings.