Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the sale of the Dodgers to Guggenheim Baseball Partners was approved this evening in a U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.
Frank McCourt agreed late last month to sell the Dodgers to a group led by Magic Johnson for a record price of $2.15 billion. The team has operated under court oversight since McCourt filed for bankruptcy last June, but judge Kevin Gross gave his blessing to the reorganization plan.
One of the biggest hurdles was resolved this morning when FOX Sports agreed to withdraw their objection to the sale. FOX, who currently has the team’s television rights, wanted proof that Time Warner Cable was not involved in the new ownership group. The Dodgers’ television contract expires after 2013 and both FOX and Time Warner Cable, among others, are expected to bid. However, FOX received assurances that no deal was in place.
MLB attorney Thomas Lauria also objected by saying that they wanted more information and time to review the deal because a number of the sale’s conditions appeared to be “inconsistent” with MLB rules. However, Gross ultimately sided with the Dodgers’ plan to exit bankruptcy.
Dodgers’ attorney Bruce Bennett told Shaikin following the hearing that he doesn’t think there’s “any realistic possibility” the sale won’t close by the target date of April 30.
Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.
That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.
Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.