I can only assume Ozzie Guillen recommended him before leaving for Miami.
The White Sox on Tuesday acquired infielder Jose Castro from the Reds for a player to be named and assigned him to Triple-A Charlotte.
Castro, a 25-year-old second baseman and shortstop, hit .306/.343/.354 with no homers and no steals in 291 at-bats between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville last year. The White Sox are currently going with a light-hitting 23-year-old in Eduardo Escobar as their utilityman and needed some extra infield depth. Castro fits the bill, but it’s doubtful he’ll have a significant major league career.
On Sunday, Rays outfielder Carlos Gomez hit a walk-off home run against the Twins. He was very fired up about his accomplishment and celebrated:
The Twins have already gotten upset with a player for bunting while Jose Berrios worked on a one-hit shutout. No one on the Twins said anything about Gomez’s antics, but even if they had, Gomez wouldn’t have felt any need to apologize, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.
Gomez said, “It’s something I know a lot of people are talking good about this, that baseball needs more of that. And some people say it’s not good. If enjoying and having fun in baseball is bad, I’m guilty.”
He added, “I was not trying to disrespect anybody. I was not looking to the other side, not looking at the ball. I was looking at my guys.”
Gomez also said that baseball is “getting a little boring.” His advice? “Enjoy it. Have fun. It’s competition.”
Can’t argue with that.