The fourth and final Opening Day is today. Thank you, Major League Baseball, for taking what is normally concentrated enjoyment and dividing it up into smaller, less-than-satisfying chunks! The schedule:
- Chicago White Sox at Texas 2:05 PM Danks vs Lewis
- Minnesota at Baltimore 3:05 PM Pavano vs Arrieta
- NY Yankees at Tampa Bay 3:10 PM Sabathia vs Shields
- St. Louis at Milwaukee 4:10 PM Garcia vs Gallardo
- San Francisco at Arizona 7:00 PM Lincecum vs Kennedy
- Colorado at Houston 7:05 PM Guthrie vs Rodriguez
- Kansas City at LA Angels 10:00 PM Chen vs Weaver
- Seattle at Oakland 10:05 PM Vargas vs McCarthy
- LA Dodgers at San Diego 10:05 PM Billingsley vs Luebke
Pavano! Arrieta! Feel the excitement!
Hanley Ramirez was a complete failure in left field this season in Boston and he batted just .249/.291/.426 while appearing in only 105 games. Ben Cherington, the man that signed him to a four-year, $88 million free agent contract, is no longer with the Red Sox. It’s time for some tough love …
Red Sox interim manager Torey Lovullo, who just inked a two-year extension to return as John Farrell’s bench coach, told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald on Sunday that Hanley has been asked to drop 15-20 pounds over the offseason. There have been similar conversations with Boston’s other free agent failure, Pablo Sandoval.
Ramirez is expected to start at first base for the Red Sox in 2016.
Clayton Kershaw entered Sunday’s regular-season finale against the Padres needing six strikeouts to become the first pitcher in 13 years to whiff 300 batters in a single season.
He did it within the first nine batters of the game, whiffing Yangervis Solarte, Clint Barmes, Austin Hedges, and Travis Jankowski once each and Melvin Upton Jr. on two different occasions.
Here was the milestone matchup against Upton Jr. with two outs in the top of the third …
The last pitchers to reach 300 strikeouts in a season were Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. They did so as teammates on the 2002 Diamondbacks.
Kershaw is lined up to face the Mets in Game 1 of the NLDS.