The fourth and final Opening Day is today. Thank you, Major League Baseball, for taking what is normally concentrated enjoyment and dividing it up into smaller, less-than-satisfying chunks! The schedule:
- Chicago White Sox at Texas 2:05 PM Danks vs Lewis
- Minnesota at Baltimore 3:05 PM Pavano vs Arrieta
- NY Yankees at Tampa Bay 3:10 PM Sabathia vs Shields
- St. Louis at Milwaukee 4:10 PM Garcia vs Gallardo
- San Francisco at Arizona 7:00 PM Lincecum vs Kennedy
- Colorado at Houston 7:05 PM Guthrie vs Rodriguez
- Kansas City at LA Angels 10:00 PM Chen vs Weaver
- Seattle at Oakland 10:05 PM Vargas vs McCarthy
- LA Dodgers at San Diego 10:05 PM Billingsley vs Luebke
Pavano! Arrieta! Feel the excitement!
Former Phillies right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez died in a traffic accident in Havana on Thursday, per reports from the El Nuevo Herald and CiberCuba. No other deaths or injuries have been reported in connection to the accident. Gonzalez was 34 years old.
The Cuban righty defected from his home country in 2013 and signed a three-year, $12 million contract with the Phillies. A bout of right shoulder tendinitis compromised his bid for a major league role, but he finally broke through to the big leagues at the tail end of the 2014 season and turned in a 6.75 ERA, 5.1 BB/9 and 8.4 SO/9 in just six outings. Another case of shoulder inflammation derailed any progress he might have made in 2015, however, and he recorded just five innings in Triple-A Lehigh Valley before the team officially released him prior to the 2016 season.
The Phillies released a statement following news of Gonzalez’s death: