Pablo Sandoval is going back behind the plate

8 Comments

Pablo Sandoval hasn’t caught a major league game since May 8, 2009, but the Giants have asked him to prepare for emergency duty with rookie Hector Sanchez as the lone backup to Buster Posey on the active roster.

While Sandoval is quite comfortable with his regular gig at third base, he told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he’ll do whatever it takes to help the team.

“If they need me, I’ll be in there,” the Giants’ opening day third baseman said. “It’s gonna be tough when you get two or three years not catching. You have to be ready to catch two bullpens in one day to make sure I’m fine. But I don’t get mad. It’s part of the team and if I have to do it, I’ll do it for sure.”

Sanchez is a switch-hitter, so the Giants want the flexibility to use him in certain situations without being exposed. Still, given how important Sandoval is to the team’s offense, it would probably take a pretty unusual circumstance for him to get behind the plate during a game again.

Red Sox Triple-A team to ban people named Tyler and Austin from stadium on May 5 and 6 as part of promotion

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Pawtucket Red Sox, obviously the Triple-A affiliate of the Red Sox, have come up with an interesting promotion for the weekend of May 5 and 6, when they host the Yankees’ Triple-A team from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

This, of course, references last week’s benches-clearing fracas between the Red Sox and Yankees that involved Joe Kelly and Tyler Austin. Kelly slid hard into second base, which upset Brock Holt. The benches emptied as the two jawed at each other, but no punches were thrown. Later in the game, Kelly threw at Austin and the benches emptied again. Punches were thrown this time and both players were given suspensions.

The major league Red Sox visit the Yankees May 8-10. As far as we’re aware, people named Joe or Kelly are allowed to attend.