Josh Beckett says he’s fine, “dumbfounded”

11 Comments

Josh Beckett’s flights around the country to get medical opinions on his thumb were tracked by the Red Sox press the way NORAD tracks Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.  Beckett says, however, that he’s “fine.”  And he adds that it’s much ado about nothing:

“I really have no idea how this got blown out like this. I was dumbfounded. The text messages and the e-mails I was getting from guys, I was like, what’s going on here? I think a lot of it had to do with Andrew Bailey also having injured his thumb. But he injured his thumb on one thing. Mine was something that’s happened over time.”

Chronic and degenerative is always better than quick and acute!

Just kidding. If he says he’s fine, he’s fine.  But don’t be surprised if his thumb has its own beat writer assigned to it soon.

Jonny Venters is back in the majors

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Rays announced on Wednesday that the club purchased the contract of lefty reliever Jonny Venters from Triple-A Durham. The 33-year-old hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to a continuous battle with arm injuries. The Rays note that he has undergone two and a half Tommy John surgeries, which is a number that seems to be in dispute.

Venters signed a minor league contract with the Rays in December. With Durham so far this season, he gave up two runs (one earned) on four hits and five walks with six strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.

Before the injuries, Venters was among the best relievers in 2010-11. In those two seasons, he posted a combined 1.89 ERA with 189 strikeouts and 82 walks in 171 innings.