Michael Pineda will officially begin his tenure as a Yankee on the disabled list.
According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Pineda was diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis following an MRI this morning. The 23-year-old right-hander reported some soreness behind his right shoulder last night after being pounded for six runs on seven hits and three walks over just 2 2/3 innings.
Pineda’s diminished velocity has been a constant topic of conversation this spring, so it’s not clear if he’s been trying to pitch through the injury all along. For what it’s worth, he did have a 3.31 ERA and a 16/7 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings before last night’s outing.
The results of the MRI obviously could have been much worse, so the Yankees are fortunate in that respect, but it’s not known when he’ll resume throwing. They figure to be pretty cautious, though. Freddy Garcia is now officially in the Yankees’ starting rotation and will likely start the fifth game of the season on April 10 against the Orioles.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Pineda will be shut down for 10-15 days, so it’s probably safe to rule him out for the first month of the season.
The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.
That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:
“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”
Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.
Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.
Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.
Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.