CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Indians and Angels are close to finalizing a trade involving veteran outfielder and DH Bobby Abreu.
No word yet on what the Angels would receive in return, but it’s probably not going to be much.
Abreu, 38, hit just .253/.353/.365 with eight home runs across 585 plate appearances last season for Anaheim and no longer possesses much defensive range. He’s also owed a $9 million salary in 2012, which the Angels will likely have to eat all or most of.
Abreu will presumably start in left field this year for Cleveland if the trade indeed goes down. Which has us wondering whether he’s really any better than Shelley Duncan, all things considered.
UPDATE, 10:01 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi says Indians outfielder Trevor Crowe was pulled from a minor league game Thursday for the purpose of a trade. It’s probably safe to connect the two.
UPDATE, 10:35 PM: Abreu’s agent told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he “has not gotten confirmation” that a deal has been agreed to involving his client. This one might take a while.
UPDATE, 10:58 PM: According to Heyman, the Crowe trade that Morosi caught word of earlier is now a “no-go.” It’s not clear whether that means the Abreu trade has also been called off.
UPDATE, 11:27 PM: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Abreu is only “50-50” to be dealt.
Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.
Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.
According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.
It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.
Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.
Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.
This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.