The Giants don’t like Brandon Belt’s approach

13 Comments

Sure, the Giants had the NL’s worst offense last year. Sure, they develop major league hitters at a rate of about two a decade. Sure, their hitting coach was one of the biggest prospect flops of the 1980s.

But when you have the chance to overhaul the swing of a top prospect hitting .380, you just gotta take it.

The Giants are considering sending Brandon Belt down to start the season in part because they don’t like his mechanics at the plate, CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly reports.

“He’s way out in front of the batter’s box,” hitting coach Hensley Meulens said.“It works for him, but want to make sure he’s getting the bat head out on those pitches middle-in and not just trying to flare it to left-center. We’re on the back field using drills so he can create that feel. When his elbow goes out, the barrel actually flattens and it takes a longer time to get the bat out in front.

“He’s had success in this camp, but … the pitching is different here. We all know that. We see a lot of minor league guys pitching in these games. It’s not to take anything away from him, but there’s still some things that we’re trying to refine so he’ll have success at the big league level.”

My take: Meulens probably has a point. Belt doesn’t have an ideal swing, and I don’t really see him becoming a star in the majors. That said, it’s certainly worked for him so far. He didn’t excel as a rookie, but he did have a 101 OPS+ in his 187 at-bats last season, even though he was never given consistent starts. He’s also been one of the team’s best hitters with a 1.089 OPS this spring. He certainly appears to me to be a better bet than Aubrey Huff or Brett Pill for this year unless the Giants totally screw him up. Sending him down would be a bad, bad call.

Report: Blue Jays and Marco Estrada nearing agreement on contract extension

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jon Morosi reports that the Blue Jays and starter Marco Estrada are nearing an agreement on a contract extension. The deal is expected to be for one guaranteed year, Morosi adds.

Estrada, 34, was set to become a free agent after the season. He earned $26 million on a two-year contract signed with the Jays in November 2015. While the right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176 2/3 innings and has looked much better since the end of July. Between July 31 and his most recent start on Saturday, Estrada owns a 3.75 ERA.

J.A. Happ is the only other starter technically under contract with the Jays next season. Marcus Stroman will be eligible for his second year of arbitration and the Jays will certainly agree to give him a raise on his $3.4 million salary for the 2017 season. The Jays will likely be active this offseason in adding rotation help and they’re starting early by locking up Estrada.

Video: Jackie Bradley, Jr. robs Chris Davis of a home run

Jason Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley, Jr. robbed Orioles first baseman Chris Davis of his 25th home run on Tuesday evening, leaping at the fence in center field to make the catch and keep the game scoreless in the bottom of the fifth inning.

Davis swung at the first pitch he saw from Drew Pomeranz, a slider that crossed the middle of the plate.

This game has potential playoff implications, as the first-place Red Sox hold a three-game lead over the Yankees in the NL East. Meanwhile, the Orioles are still in the AL Wild Card race, trailing the Twins by 5.5 games for the second Wild Card slot.