Milwaukee Brewers starting pitcher Shaun Marcum adjusts his cap after giving up a three run home run to St. Louis Cardinals David Freese in the 1st inning of Game 6 of the MLB NLCS baseball playoffs in Milwaukee

Brewers won’t try to sign impending free agent Shaun Marcum before he hits open market

24 Comments

This time of year there are lots of stories about teams trying to sign free agents-to-be before they hit the open market following the season, but in the Brewers’ case they plan to let Shaun Marcum’s contract expire.

Marcum has one year and $7.725 million left on his deal and general manager Doug Melvin told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that “we’ll probably let him play the year out.”

According to McCalvy “the Brewers have made no move to engage Marcum in discussions about an extension and that appears unlikely to change.”

Marcum is 30 years old, faded badly down the stretch last season amid concerns about arm problems, and missed time early in camp with a sore shoulder, so it’s tough to blame the Brewers for being hesitant about making a long-term commitment.

For his part, Marcum said that he’d “like to stay” and “won’t close the door, but if they close the door on their end, then it’s closed … there’s not a lot we can do about it.” Not a lot except get healthy, have a strong season, and cash in big as a free agent 30-something starts from now.

Brett Lawrie, whom the Brewers traded for Marcum, is under the Blue Jays’ control through 2017.

Report: Teams have inquired with the Angels about Hector Santiago

ANAHEIM, CA - JULY 20:  Hector Santiago #53 of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitches during the first inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers  at Angel Stadium of Anaheim on July 20, 2016 in Anaheim, California.  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.

Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.

Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.

We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.

Prince Fielder will undergo season-ending neck surgery this week

SEATTLE, WA - JUNE 10: Prince Fielder #84 takes a swing during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on June 10, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Mariners won the game 7-5. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
5 Comments

The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.

Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.

Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.