UPDATE: Joba Chamberlain will be released from the hospital Sunday

8 Comments

UPDATE: David Waldstein of the New York Times reports that Chamberlain will be released from the hospital tomorrow, which indicates that no infections have developed.

Furthermore, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com that no microfractures were found in the ankle and that Chamberlain will be in a cast for the next six weeks. It’s still early, but these are some very encouraging signs that he’ll be able to resume his playing career, perhaps as soon as this season.

4:15 PM: Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Kieran Darcy of ESPNNewYork.com this morning that Joba Chamberlain could be released from the hospital as soon as today.

Chamberlain suffered an open dislocation of of his right ankle Thursday while jumping on a trampoline with his 5-year-old son. There is concern that he could develop an infection immediately following surgery, so it would be a positive sign if he is released this soon. But results of a CT scan and an MRI aren’t yet known.

Chamberlain also told Cashman that doctors think he could be back on the mound by July if all goes well. But again, it’s much too soon to tell.

“He was hopeful that he could be back on the mound by July, is what he said that they had told him,” said Cashman, who visited Chamberlain in the hospital Friday afternoon. “That’s what he told me the doctors are telling him.

“That’s the optimistic side, but I’m only getting that from Joba,” Cashman added. “I don’t think anybody can tell anybody directly right now anything on that.”

It seems almost trivial to discuss Chamberlain’s chances of pitching this season, but even assuming that he doesn’t have any complications with the ankle, the injury pushes back his rehab from Tommy John surgery. He faces some pretty long odds. And because he’s arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter, there’s a chance that he has already thrown his final pitch in a Yankees’ uniform.

J.D. Martinez tells teams he prefers an outfield role

Getty Images
3 Comments

Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.

That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.

Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.