Jarrod Parker was the centerpiece of the deal which sent Trevor Cahill to the Diamondbacks in December, but he showed this afternoon that he may need a little more seasoning.
Parker issued seven walks over just 3 2/3 innings against Arizona, after which he was optioned to Triple-A Sacramento. The 23-year-old right-hander undoubtedly had some nerves facing his former team, but he walked three batters in each of his previous two outings and averaged 3.8 BB/9 last season at Double-A after missing the entire 2010 season following Tommy John surgery.
Even though Parker was sent down, Athletics manager Bob Melvin told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he hasn’t necessarily ruled him out for the final spot in the starting rotation. The team won’t need a fifth starter for the first time until April 17 due to scheduled off-days, so the plan calls for him to stay behind and work in Arizona for now.
“I know he’s disappointed about not going to Japan, but that doesn’t mean he’s not in the running for the fifth-starter spot,” Melvin said “He is going to be part of this team, if not right now, certainly in the future. He’s as talented a guy as we have here.”
As of now, Tommy Milone, Tyson Ross and Graham Godfrey figure to follow Brandon McCarthy and Bartolo Colon in Oakland’s starting rotation.
Rian Watt of Baseball Prospectus is hearing that a trade that would send Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs involves prospect Gleyber Torres and more going to the Yankees. He adds that the holdup in the trade talks is centered around a contract extension for Chapman, believed to be around four years in length and $60 million total. The deal may not be finalized if the Cubs don’t get him signed to an extension they like. In Watt’s words, “Package is set. Extension is not.”
We learned earlier on Sunday that the Yankees were working hard to trade Chapman, reportedly in contact with at least four teams. The Cubs were not believed to be the front runners but certainly upped the ante by offering Torres.
Torres, 19, is rated the Cubs’ #1 prospect and #24 overall in baseball by MLB Pipeline. The shortstop has spent the season with Single-A Myrtle Beach, batting .275/.359/.433 with nine home runs, 47 RBI, 62 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases in 409 plate appearances.
Torres is currently roadblocked at shortstop by Addison Russell, and 21-year-old Ian Happ is rated #3 in the Cubs’ system, so the club would be dealing from surplus.
Prior to Sunday afternoon’s game against the Mariners, the Blue Jays designated reliever Drew Storen for assignment and recalled reliever Ryan Tepera from Triple-A Buffalo.
Storen, 28, had a nightmare of a time with the Jays, leaving with a 6.21 ERA and a 32/10 K/BB ratio over 33 1/3 innings. The Jays acquired him in January from the Nationals in exchange for outfielder Ben Revere and a player to be named later.
Storen is owed the remainder of his $8.375 million salary, which makes it likelier that the right-hander will pass through waivers unclaimed. He’ll be eligible for free agency after the season.