Boston Red Sox Photo Day

Carl Crawford resumes swinging a bat

8 Comments

Carl Crawford is expected to miss the start of the season following a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist, but he did make some progress yesterday.

Crawford was able to take 15 “controlled swings” in the cage with both hands, the first time he’s done so since his setback, after which he told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he “felt fine” and had “no pain or anything.”

Crawford admitted that he likely pushed himself too soon following surgery, so Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said they plan to monitor him closely in the coming days in an effort to avoid another setback.

“It’s great to see,’’ Valentine said. “We’re totally controlling it. I’ve had too many meetings on it so far, that’s how many meetings I’ve had. Too many. So we’re going to control it and he gets it. It’s a designed program that he’s going to stick to.”

Crawford also began throwing this week, but it’s not clear when he’ll begin taking live batting practice or whether he’ll play in any Grapefruit League games. As of now, it appears offseason acquisitions Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will start in the corner outfield spots for the first few weeks of the season.

Report: Padres working on trading Andrew Cashner

ST. LOUIS, MO - JULY 21: Starter Derek Norris #3 of the San Diego Padres pitches against the St. Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on July 21, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
6 Comments

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Padres are working to trade starter Andrew Cashner. He notes that a deal may be consummated before he takes the hill for Tuesday’s start in Toronto against the Blue Jays. The Marlins, Orioles, and Rangers have had reported interest in Cashner.

Cashner is 4-7 with a 4.79 ERA and a 61/27 K/BB ratio in 73 1/3 innings. He missed over three weeks between June 11 and July 2 due to a strained neck.

The right-hander is earning $9.625 million this season and will be eligible for a fourth and final year of arbitration going into 2017.

Nationals activate Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 22:  Ryan Zimmerman #11 of the Washington Nationals reacts to his run to tie the score 1-1 with the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at Dodger Stadium on June 22, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Nationals announced on Tuesday that the club activated first baseman Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list. Zimmerman had been out since July 7 with a strained rib cage on the left side.

Zimmerman has been inserted in the sixth spot in Tuesday’s lineup against the Indians. The veteran went on the DL with a lackluster .221/.284/.402 triple-slash line with 12 home runs and 38 RBI in 313 plate appearances.

Clint Robinson and Daniel Murphy split time at first base in Zimmerman’s absence, which allowed Trea Turner to get regular playing time at second base. Turner will play center field on Tuesday night.

The Nationals also activated pitcher Sammy Solis from the disabled list. Solis had been out since July 7 with inflammation in his right knee.