Sad news to pass along from Padres’ camp.
Padres’ vice president of player development and international scouting Randy Smith told Corey Brock of MLB.com that prospect infielder Drew Cumberland has ended his comeback attempt.
Cumberland retired for the first time last summer after being diagnosed with bilateral vestibulopathy, a rare inner-ear condition which can cause blurred vision, dizziness and headaches. The 23-year-old has a history of concussions dating back to before he was a supplemental first-round pick of the Padres back in 2007. He was cleared to resume his career after visiting with concussion specialists in November, but his symptoms resurfaced this spring.
“I talked to Cumby [Sunday] and he said that his symptoms had returned and he just wasn’t going to be able to continue,” said Randy Smith, the Padres’ vice president of player development and international scouting.
“I told him to take as much time as he needs … but I don’t think that the outcome is going to change.”
Cumberland was ranked as the organization’s No. 9 prospect by Baseball America last offseason after batting .316/.380/.430 over his first four professional seasons. It’s a shame his career is over at such a young age, but hopefully his condition eventually improves to the point where he can have some quality of life again.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.