David Wright won’t make spring debut until at least next week

2 Comments

The Mets decided over the weekend to hold David Wright out of the first two games of the Grapefruit League schedule due to stiffness in the left side of his rib cage. He has downplayed the severity of the issue all along, but it’s clear that the Mets aren’t taking any chances.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Mets manager Terry Collins said this afternoon that Wright will not make his spring debut until at least next week. The 29-year-old third baseman worked out in the weight room today and no longer feels discomfort, but the Mets simply don’t want to risk the possibility of a setback and a longer shutdown.

“He felt great,” Collins said. “We’ll see when they’ll let him go back on the field. But he said there’s no pain at all, no discomfort at all. So, again, those are all great signs. And he admitted, he told me today, ‘I think it was really a good move that we slowed this down.”

Wright appeared in just 102 games last season due to a stress fracture in his lower back, batting .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs, 61 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .771 OPS.

Kris Bryant exits game with sprained right ankle

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Cubs had a scare on Wednesday night when third baseman Kris Bryant left with an apparent ankle injury. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Nationals catcher Matt Wieters hit a pop up that veered just into foul territory near the third base bag. Bryant caught it but his momentum took him back into fair territory. In doing so, he stepped awkwardly on the third base bag and appeared to twist his ankle. Bryant needed the assistance of manager Joe Maddon and the team trainer to get off the field.

Bryant was diagnosed with a mild ankle sprain, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports.

Bryant was 2-for-3 on the night before departing and being replaced by Jeimer Candelario. He’s now hitting .264/.395/.520 with 16 home runs and 32 RBI in 329 plate appearances. Needless to say, the 39-39 Cubs would see their playoff odds hurt immensely if Bryant were to miss a significant amount of time.

Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hector Gomez reports Twins third baseman Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby, to be held in two weeks at Marlins Park in Miami. So far, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton is the only other confirmed participant.

Sano, 24, is having an outstanding season, batting .274/.375/.548 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 293 plate appearances. According to MLB’s Statcast, only Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge (96.7 MPH) has a higher average exit velocity than Sano (96.4 MPH).

Brian Dozier was the last member of the Twins to participate in the Home Run Derby. In 2014 at Target Field, Dozier failed to make it into the second round after hitting only two home runs. Justin Morneau is the only Twin to have ever won the Home Run Derby, as he beat Josh Hamilton 5-3 in the finals of the 2008 Derby at Yankee Stadium — although Hamilton out-homered him in total 35 to 22.