I’m hopping on an airplane here shortly and heading for Arizona. That’s right, kids, a week in the Valley of the Sun, taking in Cactus League action. I assure you, though, I won’t be enjoying myself at all. It’ll be all work. Really. Truly!
OK, maybe I’ll enjoy it a little. But I will be working. As I have done for the past couple of years, I’ll be filing several reports a day from spring training complexes, telling you the stuff I see as I wander around. Also, because I am now occasionally associated with an actual television network and I am thus, in the eyes of media relations professionals, respectable, I will be doing a handful of interviews with actual baseball players for NBC SpotsTalk. I’ll try not to be all Chris Farley about it, but I’m not confident (“Remember that time you got that hit in the playoffs? That was awesome”).
Anyway, here’s the schedule for the week:
- Tuesday: White Sox vs Angels in Tempe: Pujols-a-palooza!
- Wednesday: Rangers vs Padres in Peoria: Yu Darvish’s first scheduled start!
- Thursday: Angels vs Indians in Goodyear: I shall stalk my daughter’s favorite player, Shelley Duncan!
- Friday: Indians vs Brewers in Maryvale: I finally get to give Ryan Braun that hug you readers think I want to give him!
- Saturday: Reds vs A’s in Phoenix: Manny bein’ Manny!; and
- Sunday: Cubs vs Dodgers in Glendale: I’ll write an alternate history in which each of these teams are elite and big-spending and I may give Frank McCourt I big, wet sloppy good-bye kiss.
In addition to posting I should be tweeting like crazy too, so give a follow: @craigcalcaterra.
Talk to you from Arizona, ladies and germs. And remember: wear sunscreen.