Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Scott Hairston was pulled from an intrasquad game today due to a strained left oblique. This is the very same injury which ended his season last August.
“Same as last year, pretty much,” Hairston said about the current issue. “I felt it on the swing out there. I felt it grab. And once I felt it grab, I figured it wouldn’t be a good idea to take another swing. … I wouldn’t think it’s as serious as it was last year. I think right now, the way I feel, it’s one of those things where I know it’s injured, but it’s not severe.”
Hairston is expected to receive a cortisone shot on Monday, but Mets’ manager Terry Collins said he is naturally “concerned” given that the injury kept him on the shelf for the final five weeks of the 2011 season. Non-roster invitee Adam Loewen is now expected to get more playing time in center field as a potential backup for Andres Torres. Vinny Rottino, who previously appeared in the big leagues with the Brewers and Marlins, could also be in the mix as a right-handed bat off the bench.
Hairston, 31, batted .235/.303/.470 with seven home runs, 24 RBI and a .773 OPS over 145 plate appearances as a reserve outfielder last season. He was brought back this winter on a one-year, $1.1 million contract.
The Mets told Jay Bruce that the club plans on having him open the season as the everyday right fielder, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports. This comes as no surprise after the Mets failed to get any bites after dangling Bruce as a trade chip. The Mets reportedly wanted a pair of prospects in exchange for Bruce.
With Bruce in right, Yoenis Cespedes back in left, and Curtis Granderson in center, Michael Conforto appears to be the odd man out. He’ll either warm the bench or head back to Triple-A Las Vegas for regular at-bats.
Bruce, who turns 30 years old in April, had a rough final two months of the 2016 season after joining the Mets in a trade from the Reds. He hit a paltry .219/.294/.391 with eight home runs and 19 RBI in 187 plate appearances. Bruce, apparently, wanted to go anywhere but in New York.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have inked outfielder Eric Young, Jr. to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Young, 31, played in just six games and logged one plate appearance in the majors this past season with the Yankees. He last played regularly in 2014. While Young doesn’t do much with the bat, he could provide value as a pinch-runner. He also offers versatility, having played all three outfield positions along with second base.
The Angels have Ben Revere as their fourth outfielder and Jefry Marte behind him, so Young would need to have a very impressive showing in spring training to find a spot on the Angels’ roster.