Miguel Tejada would like a job with the Athletics, please

7 Comments

With the Giants last year, Miguel Tejada  hit .239/.270/.326 in 343 plate appearances and played defense that experts in the field formally classify as “butt.”  That said, he’d still like a job.  With the A’s.  From Susan Slusser’s interview with Miggy, who said that, sure, he’d listen if Billy Beane were to call:

“I would love it. I have always loved the A’s. That’s the organization that gave me a chance when I was a little kid in the Dominican. They opened all the doors for me. …. That’s my family … Tell Billy to give me a call. I don’t want big money. I just want to play.”

The thing that stuck out the most to me, however, is Tejada telling Slusser that the reason he played so poorly last season was that he “wasn’t happy” being on the Giants.

If that’s the key to his productivity as a player, I feel really bad for Tejada. Because it means he hasn’t been happy in years.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.