Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford told reporters earlier this month that he “wasn’t happy” about Red Sox owner John Henry expressing to the media last season that he was “personally opposed” to the former Ray’s seven-year, $142 million contract.
Rather than continuing to air their frustrations through the press, player and owner had a sit-down meeting recently in Red Sox camp. It lasted around 10 minutes, and it apparently went swimmingly.
“He was apologetic and I accepted his apology and we both agreed to just move and go from there,” Crawford told WEEI in Boston. “When someone is genuinely sorry for something, you can tell. I think he was genuinely sorry for it. I apologized for the season I had. Had I played better, he wouldn’t had to say that so we just both exchanged words that were good. I think we were able to clear the air and now it’s just time to move on.”
Crawford, a .296/.337/.444 hitter during his nine years in Tampa Bay, batted just .255/.289/.405 in 539 plate appearances last season for the Red Sox. He also stole just 18 bases after swiping 47 for the Rays in 2010.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.
Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.
The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.
Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.
In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).