Juan Uribe to miss first full-squad workouts due to trial with former landlord

2 Comments

UPDATE: According to the official Dodgers’ Twitter account, Uribe is among the players who have reported early to camp. He told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he will be in camp today and tomorrow before the trial starts Monday in San Francisco.

10:55 AM: Juan Uribe had a miserable first season with the Dodgers and his second isn’t getting off to the best start.

According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Juan Uribe isn’t expected to be present Monday with the rest of the Dodgers’ position players because he is scheduled for a trial against his former landlord in San Francisco.

Uribe is being sued by Christina Esteras for $145,000 in damages resulting from a kitchen fire he is suspected of starting while playing for the Giants in 2010. The trial is set to begin Monday at 9:30 a.m. and Esteras’ attorney, Josh S. Brownstein, said the case “absolutely” cannot be settled in one day, so Uribe will likely miss the first couple days of full-squad workouts.

Uribe signed a three-year, $21 million contract with the Dodgers last winter, but batted just .204/.264/.293 with four homers, 28 RBI and .557 OPS over 295 plate appearances in 2011 before undergoing season-ending surgery in September to repair a sports hernia. The 32-year-old is expected to serve as the Dodgers’ starting third baseman in 2012.

Report: Yankees to promote Gleyber Torres

Yankees Torres Baseball
AP Images
2 Comments

Yankees top prospect Gleyber Torres will be promoted to the majors this weekend, per a report from Jack Curry of the YES Network. Torres was expected to make his debut earlier in the season, but his starting date was pushed back after he suffered a bout of back tightness last Monday. Now, however, it looks like he’s finally healthy enough to make an impact on a team that’s in sore need of an offensive boost. As of Saturday evening, the team has yet to officially confirm the move.

The 21-year-old infielder has made quite the impression in Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this spring, slashing .370/.415/.543 with five extra-base hits and 11 RBI in his first 53 plate appearances. Prior to the start of the 2018 season, he was ranked first overall in the Yankees’ system and fifth among the league’s best prospects (via MLB Pipeline). His numbers at the plate have been made all the more impressive by the fact that he’s only 10 months removed from Tommy John surgery on his non-throwing arm; neither the injury nor the lengthy recovery process seems to have had any detrimental effect on his game play this year.

While Torres appears most comfortable as a shortstop, he’s not expected to supplant Didi Gregorius in a starting role. Instead, it’s more likely that he’ll sub in at second and third base among the likes of Miguel Andujar, Neil Walker and Ronald Torreyes.