Dodgers reliever Ronald Belisario already faces a drug suspension at the beginning of the year, but it appears that his drug problems extend beyond whatever it was that sent him to rehab last year: he told reporters this morning that he tested positive for cocaine.
It’s unclear when he tested positive, but Belisario says that wasn’t the drug that led to his suspension. He also used the Ron Washington defense and said that he used cocaine only once. Which led to this G-chat conversation between Gleeman and me a few minutes ago:
Aaron: I’ll leave the Belisario coke post to you.
Aaron: Amazing how many guys get caught on their one and only lifetime usage! Such bad luck!
me: I was just thinking that! Damn the luck!
Aaron: Especially when that one usage comes at like age 30 or age 60.
Me: Prime ages for experimentation, don’t you know.
Aaron: It’s so weird. What could drive an adult non-user to use that once!
We then moved on to talk about how Aaron’s mom bought a new car last night and paid for it in cash. I asked Aaron if his mom was a drug dealer. He said, yes, she’s Ronald Belisario’s drug dealer. Which presents the possibility that Belisario is telling the truth, that he used only once, but that he bought $20K worth of blow from Aaron’s mom.
I suppose we could try to report on this a bit more to get the real facts, but I don’t think we’ll find a better explanation than the Aaron’s-mom-sold-cocaine-to-Ronald-Belisario explanation. It just fits.
Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.
Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.
According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.
It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.
Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.
Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.
This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.