Josh Beckett: no apology needed for “lapses in judgment”

26 Comments

Get ready for some more beer and chicken talk…

While Josh Beckett admitted that “mistakes” were made in the clubhouse last season, he didn’t feel the need to apologize Sunday for his “lapses in judgment.”

Rightly or wrongly, Beckett has been treated as the worst offender or maybe the ringleader in all of the talk surrounding the members of the Red Sox rotation and their behavior in the clubhouse.

“I really can’t control that,” he said. “I’m sure that manifests itself somehow. I can’t control that. “For me, I can only speak for myself here, I think that we had — I had — lapses in judgment, and I can’t speak for everybody else.”

Asked to define the “lapses in judgment,” Beckett replied, “We made mistakes in the clubhouse. That’s about as far as I’ll go talking about the clubhouse.”

Beckett does expect a different atmosphere this year. He said he was distracted at times last year, though that it didn’t affect his preparation.

“I never missed a workout,” he said. “I was ready to pitch every time I pitched. I didn’t execute pitches in my last two starts. I put on a little bit of weight. I don’t have a reason for it, but it happened. I’m looking forward to going forward from here.”

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.