Ozzie Guillen: Hanley Ramirez not on board with move to third base. Yet.

32 Comments

Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen was asked Tuesday whether Hanley Ramirez is “absolutely 100 percent on board” with moving to third base this season to accommodate shortstop Jose Reyes. In his response, Guillen did not mince words (see the video at the Miami Herald‘s website):

“No,” Guillen said. “No, Hanley is not 100 percent on board. Not yet. The last time I talked to him, no. But I don’t expect him to be. I expect him to be 100 percent on board with this move when we play St. Louis (on Opening Night). Right now, just let it be, man. Let it be.”

“This is Hanley’s team,” the new Miami skipper concluded. “Those guys they brought in from the outside is to help him.”

Guillen is obviously hoping that Ramirez will eventually view the addition of Reyes for what it is — part of an effort to make the Marlins more successful as a franchise. But we get a sense of recognition from Guillen that there could be some drama in camp this spring. Making now a great time to remind HBT’s readers that the Marlins will be featured on this year’s edition of “The Franchise” on Showtime. Get your popcorn ready.

The Marlins made an empty threat. Giancarlo Stanton made an empty promise.

Associated Press
Leave a comment

I covered the main press conference about Giancarlo Stanton earlier, but afterward he and his agents fanned out to various TV shows, radio shows and reporter scrums from which some new, fun things have spun out. Part of what they’ve talked about is silly and meaningless, part of it just meaningless.

Here’s the silly and meaningless, from a Marlins official, apparently, trying to bully Stanton into accepting either the Giants or the Cardinals trades despite the fact that he told them beforehand that he was not willing to go to either of those teams:

This is silly because it comes off like a threat. Like the worst possible thing that can happen to a guy is to stay with the very team that is making the threat. It’s like telling your wife that if she does not leave you, she’s stuck with you forever.

It’s meaningless too, in that Stanton has an opt-out clause after 2020. If the Marlins could not make a trade Stanton would approve, he’d simply collect close to $90 million and then leave at age 30. Oooh, don’t throw me into that briar patch, Mr. Jeter!

Not that Stanton’s people are offering statements of serious gravitas. His agent was asked about Stanton’s opt-out rights, which he retains even though he’s now with the Yankees:

That may very well be true! He just got here and everything is going great so far. It’s totally empty, of course, because anything can happen between now and the fall of 2020. If the big time free agents of the next two years sign for the sort of money that makes Stanton look underpaid, he’ll certainly opt-out, even if he wants to stay with the Yankees. Ask Alex Rodriguez and CC Sabathia how that works. The opt-out clause is pure, unadulterated leverage for a player and unless he totally craters over the next three seasons he’ll most certainly use it, regardless of present desires.

Which, hey, that’s how things work when a big trade or free agent signing happens. Everyone who has lost looks bad and everyone who won sounds happy. Then, later, the baseball happens.