By settling with David Ortiz moments before their arbitration hearing the Red Sox potentially saved $1.75 million compared to his requested salary, but general manager Ben Cherington said afterward that the savings likely won’t lead to another move before the start of spring training.
“I wouldn’t expect any major moves between now and Sunday,” Cherington told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. “We’re still working on some stuff. Certainly the spring training roster is mostly what it’s going to be.”
That wording certainly doesn’t rule out a signing or trade in the middle of spring training, but Bradford reports that “there’s still no traction” between the Red Sox and Roy Oswalt.
The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.
Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.
Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.
MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.
The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.
Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.