The Phillies haven’t made much progress this winter toward a long-term extension for Cole Hamels. But team president David Montgomery told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that there’s a sense of confidence something will eventually get done:
“I don’t think it’s difficult,” Montgomery said. “We’ve let Cole know we’re anxious to have him stay here. Cole enjoys it here. He’s not only been a quality pitcher, but he involves himself in the community. It’ll probably come down to what we think is an appropriate length and what they think. You try to minimize risk by not going longer than necessary. And a player is looking for as much security as he can get. It’s an equation that takes time to hopefully get worked out.”
Hamels agreed to a one-year, $15 million contract last month that covers his final season of arbitration eligibility. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series and is thought to be seeking a shiny new deal worth more than $100 million.
The 28-year-old southpaw has a 3.39 ERA and 1,091 strikeouts in 1,161 career major league innings.
The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.
Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.
Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.