It’s pretty well-documented that Roy Oswalt would prefer to pitch for the Rangers or Cardinals in order to be closer to his home in Mississippi. However, since both clubs have full starting rotations, they have little reason to break the bank in order to sign him. This leaves Oswalt considering the alternatives.
With that in mind, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox, Reds and Phillies are among the teams who have remained in contact with the veteran right-hander.
While Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington told WEEI’s Alex Speier earlier this week that it’s “unlikely” they’ll add a starting pitcher prior to spring training, Morosi was told that the two sides continue to have “mutual interest” in one another. Oswalt is open to returning to Philadelphia, but the Phillies haven’t been aggressive adding rotation help this offseason. As for the Reds, they already have six candidates for their rotation and would likely have to move some salary in order to be a realistic possibility.
Assuming a deal with the Rangers or Cardinals doesn’t happen, the Red Sox look like the best match. Then again, Morosi doesn’t dismiss the possibility that new suitors could emerge in the coming days, especially if Oswalt ends up lowering his asking price. While Edwin Jackson signing with the Nationals earlier this week wasn’t a huge shocker because of the Scott Boras connection, it at least served as a reminder that things can change in a hurry.
Oswalt, 34, was limited to 23 starts last season due to a back condition, posting a 3.69 ERA and 93/33 K/BB ratio over 139 innings.
UPDATE, 7:46 PM: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the Reds only “kicked the tires” and aren’t actively pursuing Oswalt.
The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving usually means one thing: going to some mildly depressing bar in your hometown and meeting up with all of the people with whom you went to high school.
Oakland A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle and his girlfriend, Eireann Dolan, bypassed that dreary tradition and did something more uplifting instead: they hosted 17 Syrian refugee families for an early Thanksgiving dinner.
There has been a lot of controversy lately about U.S. policy regarding Syrian refugees. Based on all of this, the only thing controversial here is that someone is letting that kid be a Chicago Bears fan. That’s no way to introduce anyone to the greatness of America.
From Jon Heyman of CBS Sports comes word that the Orioles “like” free agent starter Yovani Gallardo and “have reached out to him” to gauge his interest in coming to Baltimore and what that might cost.
Gallardo rejected a one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer from the Rangers earlier this month and so his free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t hurt his bottom line all that much.
The 29-year-old right-hander posted a solid 3.42 ERA in 184 1/3 innings (33 starts) this past season for Texas and he pitched well in his one ALDS start.
Heyman reported a few weeks ago that the Diamondbacks are interested, and the Cubs, Blue Jays, and Dodgers were tied to him just ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.
David Price has expressed a desire to return to Toronto, where he finished out the 2015 season, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes Wednesday that the Blue Jays “are not expected to be a major factor in his free agency.”
The teams that should be considered serious suitors, per Rosenthal, are the Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, and Red Sox — all deep-pocketed teams looking to contend in 2016. Money is apparently the issue for the Blue Jays, who are currently owned by Rogers Communications.
Price registered an outstanding 2.45 ERA, 1.076 WHIP, and 225/47 K/BB ratio in 220 1/3 innings (32 starts) this past season between the Tigers and Jays, finishing second in the American League Cy Young Award race behind Dallas Keuchel of the Astros.
The 30-year-old left-hander is probably looking for a six- or seven-year contract worth more than $25 million per season. He is represented by agent Bo McKinnis.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald wrote three weeks ago that the Marlins were probably going to explore an extension this winter with second baseman Dee Gordon. And it sounds like those talks are underway.
Via beat writer Joe Frisaro of MLB.com:
As a guest on MLB Network’s “Hot Stove” show Wednesday morning, Gordon confirmed his camp has been in talks with the Marlins regarding a multiyear deal. A source told MLB.com that the discussions are preliminary and have just recently started.
“My agent is doing the talking,” Gordon said on the show. “They’re just keeping me in the loop. I think it’s going pretty well right now. We’ll see how that goes. I’m just playing the waiting game. We’re going to do the right thing.”
The 27-year-old carries three more seasons of salary arbitration, so there’s no real rush to get something done before next spring. Gordon carries quite a bit of leverage after posting a career-best .333/.359/.418 slash line in 145 games this past season for the Fish. He led all major leaguers in hits (205) and stolen bases (58).