The Associated Press reports that the Dodgers asked a U.S. Bankruptcy Judge earlier today to throw out claims against the team filed on behalf of Bryan Stow, the Giants’ fan who was severely beaten outside of Dodger Stadium on Opening Day last year.
Stow and his family originally sued the Dodgers in California, but then filed the claim with the federal court last July after Dodgers’ owner Frank McCourt filed for bankruptcy.
“The Stow claim is, when stripped to its core, based on the faulty premise that a landowner is an insurer of the safety of persons on its property,” the Dodgers said in a 37-page motion filed with U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Gross.
The Dodgers are arguing that Stow’s representatives “cannot prove any link” between his injuries and any additional security measures that could have been provided. Additionally, the Dodgers assert that they had “no knowledge of any inappropriate conduct” by Stow’s assailants prior to his injuries and thus, shouldn’t be held liable.
The Dodgers are certainly within their rights to make this argument, but as Stow’s lawyer Thomas Girardi mentions, this stance isn’t going to win McCourt any fans in the court of public opinion.
“The only good thing is, he’s out,” said Stow’s lawyer, Thomas Girardi. “Seldom in history has an owner of a team been more hated, despised, than he is for his despicable conduct. So this is just perfect. You wouldn’t expect anything else.”
According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, a hearing will be held on the matter on March 7.